Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Four Seasons

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons


By 1962, "our" radio station was pumping out as much Four Seasons music as the rest of the country. They had hit after hit. And they were  good. We had never heard anyone sing as high as Frankie Valli. What harmony. Doo-wop at it's finest. I thought they were good enough to be up in the Dion's level. 


I try to bring a personal memory to everyone of these little stories. If the music didn't move me or have a memory attached I probably don't write about it. The Four Seasons have special memories attached. In my Junior year, of high school, I met a girl. She was new in town and a year younger than myself. We didn't get a lot of new kids much less pretty little yankees. I definitely took notice when Sherri arrived.


Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons


As things turned out, we dated. During that time, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had the big hit of the same name. Sherri, Sherri Baby, can you come out tonight ? Sherri passed away many years ago. When I hear the Four Seasons she comes to mind. It's like a movie doing an instant replay in my head. She was in her majorette outfit. We were at a dance after a football game. She was dancing the "mashed potato"and grinning like hell. None of us had ever seen the dance much less figure out how to do it. I was impressed with the girl and the dance. There ! That's way more than I wanted to say about that. I'll dedicate this blog to Sherri and her little sister Terri. Good kids.


Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons




Frankie Valli was not the only guy in the Four Seasons. But he's the one I remember. If you've heard of the musical "Jersey Boys", I'm told it's their story. I haven't seen it but it's had great reviews.






Needless to say I loved everything these guys did. They were a part of my youth and I wish we heard them on the radio today. According to the research The Four Seasons were the only American group to withstand the onslaught of the Beatles. They continued to have multiple hit years for four years after the Beatles arrived. This is one group the Beatles didn't kill. Now that's hot ! 


Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons








Here are a few stats and links for fun and info. Get your headphones out, plug them in and let the music take you back to a simpler time.






They are in the Vocal Group Hall of Fame who called them the most popular group prior to the Beatles. They are also in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland (?). 


The Four Seasons had 29 Top 40 hits, they had 16 Top 10's, 10 Top 5's and 5 #1 Hits. Their first three records were all Number One hits. The majority of these hits came within a six year period from 1962 through 1967. These are amazing sales numbers when you consider how badly the rest of the industry was decimated by the Beatles phenom.




        Info        Videos     Valli site     Vocal Hall    R&R



No comments:

Post a Comment